TomTom Previews its New Navigation App for Android Today
TomTom is one of the top GPS navigation solutions provider in the World. From dedicated devices to software for mobile platforms, TomTom provides some of the most complete options on the market. Today at IFA Berlin they will preview their new navigation application for the Android platform.
Dutch satellite navigation specialist TomTom has announced that it will release a dedicated Android app, launching with on-board maps, intelligent routing and HD Traffic services. TomTom will make certain services (such as HD Traffic and speed camera alerts) available via in-app purchasing. The solution has been available for iOS devices for quite some time while the launch for Android has been held off. Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director at TomTom states:
“We aim to make TomTom content and services available to as many devices and platforms as we can. Bringing TomTom navigation to Android smartphones is, therefore, a significant milestone for us.”
This announcement follows the recent release of the TomTom Hands-free Car Kit for Smartphones. The kit allows users to charge their phone and mount it in clear view. An in-built speaker then delivers the highest quality audio for loud and clear navigation instructions and calls.
The features list for the TomTom app for Android is extensive. Here are some of them:
- World-class navigation – The latest, most accurate TomTom maps available – with no need for a mobile signal or data plan.
- Lifetime maps – Free updates that ensure access to the latest maps and fastest routes.
- IQ Routes – Arrival times that drivers can rely on – at all times of day.
- Advanced lane guidance – Gives drivers extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions.
- Spoken street names – Makes turnings even clearer.
- 2D / 3D driving view – The clearest display for the safest driving.
- TomTom HD Traffic – Available as an in-app purchase. It’s the quickest way through traffic. Proven.
- TomTom Speed Cameras – Available as an in-app purchase. Save money and drive safely with real-time mobile and fixed camera alerts.
Pricing and availability details will be unveiled closer to the actual release date in October.