Chameleon OS Reaches Beta with its Latest Customized Addition to the Android Family
It is no secret that the number of implementations based on the Google OS has reached a peak level and it keeps rising at a frequent level. There are many factors to consider when choosing a mobile OS and the fact that Android is Open Source and based on Linux has had a great impact on the way is is perceived.
At the moment Google is certainly not the only one that provides a very clean Android experience with its Nexus devices. First there is CyanogenMod, the most popular alternative to the stock OS. Next there are a bunch of others, including Paranoid, that offer enhanced experiences for users willing to try it. Now it is up to the community to deliver one of the best experiences users can hope to get, and Chameleon OS seems very interesting in this regard. And no, it is not elated to the Chameleon Launcher on the Store. Instead it is built by some of the most active developers in the community, including Miui.US members.
Chameleon OS is based off CyanogenMod and integrates some of the highly customizable features it brings. The interface for it has been customized entirely and suits the naming it has been given. On top of that the team plans to integrate even more features, depending on the userțs preferences. One of the most important features it offers is the integrated Miui Themes engine, offering a grate variety to choose from once the community starts developing for it. At the moment the list of supported devices for it is pretty short, including Nexus Devices (Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, 7), Samsung Galaxy S 2/3 and the Kindle Fire. Below you have some of the most important features it offers:
- Folder icon styles: stacked, grid, or carousel
- Folder sorting: alphabetically, reverse alphabetically, or by usage
- Icon scaling in app drawer and on homescreen
- Home screen previews, rearrangable homescreens
- Set default screen from previews layout
- Add or remove homescreens from previews layout
- Based on MIUI’s theme engine
- Mix and match different themes on the fly
- Theme options: Icons, Status Bar, Boot animation, Font (requires reboot), Messaging, Framework, and Ringtones
- Applies native ctz files, but also will apply MIUI mtz files, not all elements will theme properly with mtz packages
- Animated boot animation preview based
- Boot animation resolution scaling